The brochure Kids – The School Bus and You from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides parents, children, and motorists helpful lifesaving tips to make traveling to and from the school bus stop and in school buses safer for everyone.
Indiana Department of Education - Office of School Transportation
Safety Message from DeKalb Eastern CSD
- Never cross close to the front of the bus – make sure the driver can see you.
- Never pick up anything you drop close to or under the bus – ask the driver what to do.
- Never run after a bus or bang on the side.
- If you must cross the street in front of the bus, follow the driver’s directions, and stop and look before you cross.
- Never run across a street, it’s better to miss the bus than rush and risk being hit by a car.
- Stay away from the rear and sides of the bus – always be in a safe place where the driver can see you.
- Never pass a school bus when its stop lights are flashing.
- Be extra vigilant around school hours – assume a child might run out at any moment.
- Be courteous to school buses, give them room and let them change lanes when they need to.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.